Monday, May 12, 2008

R.I.P. 4'3"/ Body Builder

Recently Matt Gibson and I had an interesting conversation about a Chronicle article re: the Berkeley stabbing of a 21-year old student last week. We had both noticed in the article that the reporter quoted stats from the dead boy's MySpace page. Here's the section of the article quoting myspace-

Wootton was active in his fraternity, serving as vice president and pledge educator.

"Nobody can have a better set of friends than I do," he wrote on his MySpace page. "I'm a Sigma Pi for life."

Wootton listed on MySpace the Bible as one of his favorite books and Jesus as one of his top interests.

Among his heroes, he listed "Jesus, my mom, my dad, my big brother, really wise people."

So what if you die and people look to your myspace page as a representation of you and as a source for quotes if you get brutally murdered? It's one thing to know people look there for job interviews, I can handle that, but when your body is cold and hard and you can't say "oh I was just kidding" or "being ironic", that kinda sucks.

I am currently lacking in obituary fluff. I currently "like most music," love the movie "Red Dawn", the show "Breaking Bad", "would like to meet- a gnome terrorizing fishermen in South America", and "About me- biding my time". I don't list influences like Jesus and my family. Maybe that means I'm not mature enough to die yet. Only the good die young. KNOCK ON WOOD.

If you feel like being morbid, you can check out MyDeathSpace.Com. It's a site that archives the myspace pages of people that have died. It's especially sad because it's mainly young people who died in car accidents and suicides.

No comments: